The Juice is excited to share another piece in our guest feature series with, "8 Effective Ways To Increase Customer Engagement on Your Website" by Jebbit. We will continue to share some of our favorite pieces of content from modern day brands. Stay tuned! 🧃
Customer engagement directly impacts customer satisfaction, customer retention and customer loyalty. Customers who engage with your content are more likely to be retained and become long-term clients.
That is why we have decided to share our 8 ways to create an effective customer engagement strategy to increase customer engagement on your website and how it can be measured.
Why Is Customer Engagement Important?
Increased customer engagement is not just good for businesses, it also means customers are happy. The more engagement you have across your website, the more leads you have, and therefore the more potential conversions.
The goal of your website is to engage with potential customers to send them on a customer journey that personalizes the customer experience and eventually results in a sale. If a customer is no longer engaged, then the chances of them exiting your website without making a purchase or inquiry increase.
Having an engaging website improves the overall happiness of your customer base, meaning they are likely to remain loyal to your brand, and it can help you to get to know your customers better by helping you collect first-party data.
This first party-data can be used to further engage customers, improve the customer journey, create more relevant content, streamline your marketing budget, and boost sales.
Customer engagement is important because:
- It gives your brand more value and creates brand loyalty
- It improves the customer experience and makes them feel welcome
- It can help build loyalty and trust with your customer base
- Customer engagement efforts can help collect more feedback, insights, and data about your customers and their habits
- It can help to increase sales, both in the short and long term by creating an effective sales funnel and improving the customer experience.
How Can You Effectively Measure Customer Engagement?
We’ve talked about the value of customer engagement and how customer engagement marketing strategies can be used to improve the effectiveness of your website. Next, let’s take a look at how you should be measuring customer engagement and its impact.
This can be broken down into two sections, internal metrics, and external metrics.
Internal customer engagement metrics are those provided by your analytics software, whether that is a bespoke reporting tool or Google Analytics. Below are a few of the key metrics that can help you measure customer engagement.
- Average time on site - The more time users spends on your website, the higher the chance that they will become loyal customers.
- Time on Page - If you are regularly seeing users spend a considerable time on certain pages then this suggests that they find the content interesting or useful.
- Exit/ Bounce Rate - If certain pages have a high exit or bounce rate then it signals that the content is either uninteresting or there is a technical problem that is impacting the navigation or user experience.
- Pages per Visit - If a user visits a lot of pages before completing before making a purchase or completing a goal then it shows that they are very engaged with your overall website.
- Links - The number of quality backlinks and social media links that point to your website is a great indication of how useful your content is. People will only link to content that they feel has value.
- Social Media Mentions - Social Media is important for engaging with customers and measuring interaction. Mentions of your brand show that your marketing efforts are paying off and the content you are posting is being acknowledged. It also gives you a chance to speak to customers directly.
Effective Ways To Increase Customer Engagement on Your Website
Below are 8 effective ways to increase customer engagement on your website.
- Share Your Knowledge With Your Customers
Show off your expert knowledge and become a thought leader in your sector by sharing your wisdom with your customer, so they can make better decisions and gain more insight into your business.
Keeping this valuable knowledge to yourself means you are depriving your marketing team of a great weapon to beat down your competitors and secure more sales. The more expert insights you can publish, the more likely your content has of being shared, helping it reach a wider audience.
- Make Sure Your Content Is Easy To Read
Make sure all your content is easily readable, with plenty of white space so potential readers are not put off by large, imposing blocks of text. Avoid using small fonts too, as many people find this harder to read.
- Ensure Your Copy Has Value
Make sure all your web pages are filled with copy that is worth reading. It is sometimes easy to create generic service and product pages that provide very little value, resulting in high bounce rates and few click-throughs.
If you are to keep your customers engaged and create user journeys that result in conversion, then all your pages must serve a purpose and provide the user with something worth reading in order to keep them on your website.
- Ensure Your Web Pages Load Quickly
It sounds simple but you will be amazed at the number of websites that suffer slow loading times that result in users exiting before they have read any of the content. Check the speed of your website by using tools like GTmetrix.
Online design, optimization, and other tools play a prominent role in building and designing modern, functional websites.
Ensuring elements such as website SEO, page load speeds, mobile friendliness, and other important elements are all considered so that the finished product offers maximum performance.
- Create a Mobile-Friendly Website
It is likely that many of your users will be browsing your website on their smartphones. You can check how many by using Google Analytics.
Ensure that all elements of your website are responsive and work well on any screen size to ensure you are not missing out on any potential sales. If you’re non-tech savvy, an easy-to-use page builder such as Elementor can be the best choice for creating a responsive site with advanced features.
- Images and Videos
Images and videos can add great value to your website, especially when this type of content is generated by your users.
Encourage your customers to share pictures and videos of themselves interacting with your product or brand with incentivized campaigns.
Besides, your customers can suggest including other types of visuals like charts, infographics, etc. These visual elements work like a charm as well.
User-generated content (UGC) is one of the biggest marketing trends right now and is proven to increase engagement and promote your brand.
- Promote Your Positive Customer Feedback
If your customers regularly leave good feedback then you should display this on your website as testimonials to encourage new customers to make a purchase.
If another person is promoting your brand and service for you, then it makes sense to use this content for marketing purposes.
User reviews have shown that they can be one of the most persuasive content types in terms of persuading potential customers.
You can also receive feedback in real-time with automated tools that prompt users to get in touch. Handy call widgets are a nice feature that can help increase engagement and conversions.
- Personalized Content With an Onsite Quiz
Create a personalized web experience for your customers with an onsite quiz that captures first-party data about your customers preferences and intents.
By providing them a genuine value exchange through the quiz, you will not only get to know your customers better, but you will be able to encourage them to make another purchase by showing them similar items to ones they have previously browsed or reminding them of products they have shown an interest in.
An onsite quiz can increase lead capture, average order value, conversion rates and customer lifetime value.
Customer engagement is very important when it comes to promoting your brand and boosting sales. The customer engagement strategies you use can be converted into valuable insights that help you optimize your overall marketing strategies and keep your customer base happy.
Increasing engagement can be done in numerous ways such as creating interesting and diverse content, personalizing content for individual users, and ensuring your website is fast loading and responsive.
Browse the rest of our blog for more valuable information regarding customer engagement and user experience.
Not a member yet? Join The Juice and start learning from creators and brands who are pushing B2B forward. 🧃